The Biographers’ Club is now accepting submissions for The Slightly Foxed Best First Biography Prize 2022.
The prize of £2,500 will be awarded to the best book by a first-time biographer or memoirist in March 2023. Biographies published between 1 January 2022 and 31 December 2022 are eligible.
This year’s judges are Alan Samson, Lucy Scholes and Anne Sebba.
– Alan Samson was Chairman and Non-Fiction Publisher of Weidenfeld & Nicolson until August 2021. Prior to that he worked for Little Brown, Macmillan and Michael Joseph. Among the many memoirs he has edited and published are those by Dame Julie Walters, Dame Helen Mirren and Sir Sean Connery; Life by Keith Richards; the diaries of Sir Michael Palin, Tina Brown, Catherine Deneuve and most recently Dame Joan Collins; and autobiographies by Arsene Wenger, John McEnroe and Roy Keane.
– Lucy Scholes is Senior Editor at McNally Editions, a series of paperbacks devoted to hidden gems. She has a particular interest in the lives and works of neglected or under-appreciated twentieth-century women writers, and writes ‘Re-Covered’, a column for the Paris Review about forgotten books and their authors.
– Anne Sebba is a prize winning author of eleven books, mostly biographies of iconic women including Mother Teresa, Laura Ashley, Wallis Simpson (That Woman) and Jennie Churchill, Winston’s American Mother. Her latest, Ethel Rosenberg: An American Tragedy (2021), was shortlisted for the Wingate Prize and Les Parisiennes: How the Women of Paris Lived, Loved and Died in the 1940s (2016) was joint winner of the Franco British Book Prize.
Previous winners of the Slightly Foxed Best First Biography Prize include:
– 2021 Lea Ypi for Free: Coming of Age at the End of History
– 2020 Heather Clarke for Red Comet: The Short Life and Blazing Art of Sylvia Plath
– 2019 Jonathan Phillips for The Life and Legend of the Sultan Saladin
– 2018 Bart van Es for The Cut Out Girl
– 2017 Edmund Gordon for The Invention of Angela Carter
– 2016 Hisham Matar for The Return: Fathers, Sons and the Land in Between