Operations & Subscriptions Manager
Slightly Foxed is looking for an enthusiastic Operations and Subscriptions Manager to join their London office. We are a small and friendly team at Slightly Foxed and are seeking a highly-organized person with excellent communication and management skills, a keen interest in the publishing industry and at least two years’ experience in an administrative or retail role.
The Operations and Subscriptions Manager will be responsible for the day-to-day running of the office and management of junior staff. They will oversee the office and other operational aspects of the magazine including the management and dispatch of subscriptions and books and merchandise and be responsible for the subscriptions renewal and marketing inserts programmes, among other things. Other key elements of this role will include data analysis, seeking and implementing opportunities for partnerships and other initiatives to increase subscriptions and assisting with the planning and development of direct marketing projects.
The Slightly Foxed office is busy and fast-paced at key points throughout the publishing year and the Operations and Subscriptions Manager position would best suit someone who enjoys working with other people, has a positive outlook and the ability to remain calm and unflustered under pressure.
If you are interested, please apply with your CV and covering letter to our HR & Accounts Manager Aimi Engineer: [email protected].
- Salary: £30,000+ depending on experience; paid monthly
- Early applications may be prioritised
Operations and Subscriptions Manager Applications
- The deadline for applications is Friday 22 September 2023
- Short-listed candidates will be contacted by Friday 29 September 2023
- We will be conducting long-list interviews online from 2 October
- Short-listed candidates will be asked to attend an in-person meeting in early October
About Slightly Foxed
Slightly Foxed is the highly-acclaimed yet good-humoured and unstuffy literary magazine that introduces its readers to good books from both the past and the present. Contributors include Penelope Lively, Robert Macfarlane, Margaret Drabble, Tim Pears, Kate Young, Diana Athill, Quentin Blake, Melissa Harrison and Adam Sisman. Founded in 2004 by former John Murray Editors Gail Pirkis and Hazel Wood, this year sees the publication of our 80th issue.
Our non-fiction list of cloth-bound limited-editions was launched in 2008 and encompasses some of the twentieth century’s best memoirs and biographies, with works by Edward Ardizzone, Gerald Durrell, Anne Fadiman, Graham Greene, Helene Hanff, Luke Jennings, Michael Holroyd, James Lees-Milne, Hilary Mantel, Gavin Maxwell, V. S. Pritchett, Dodie Smith and Rosemary Sutcliff, among others.
We also publish a hand-picked selection of classic nature and historical adventure novels for children and produce a small range of literary merchandise and a well-loved literary podcast, with recent episodes dedicated to Ronald Blythe, Jean Rhys, Angela Carter, Barbara Pym and Evelyn Waugh.
Since 2014, the magazine has sponsored the Slightly Foxed Best First Biography Prize for the best first biography or literary memoir published each year. Slightly Foxed magazine and our books are made in the UK by traditional printers and book-binders.
Terms & Hours
- Start date: 9 October onwards (Start date flexible); Three month probationary period
- Salary: £30,000+ depending on experience; paid monthly
- Fulltime: Monday – Friday; 9.30 a.m. – 5.30 p.m.
- Normal hours are 35 hours per week excluding lunch breaks: Occasional evening or early morning work will be required for events and deliveries
- Place of work: Slightly Foxed Ltd, 53 Hoxton Square, London N1 6PB
- Holiday: 20 days plus Bank Holidays and extended Christmas holiday
- Optional Share Plan Programme for long-term staff
- Bonus scheme
- Pension: After any trial period you will be automatically registered to the company’s pension scheme
- Applications must be submitted by email
- Applications with generic covering letters will not be accepted
- We are unable to confirm receipt of individual applications, respond to unsuccessful applicants or discuss individual applications
- We are not currently offering flexible working for this role but occasional flexible working may be arranged by agreement
Operations and Subscriptions Manager Key Responsibilities
- Overseeing the processing and dispatch of orders and post for subscriptions, books and goods
- Managing the subscription renewals programme
- Liaising with the design, marketing and editorial staff
- Managing the advertising inserts programme
- Liaising with printers and other external service providers
- Overseeing and responding to queries from customers by email, phone and letter
- Assisting with the planning and development of direct marketing projects
- Overseeing banking, filing and other day-to-day-office administration
- Data analysis
- Sales reports
- Stock & stationery management
- Seeking and implementing opportunities for partnerships and other initiatives to increase subscriptions
Operations and Subscriptions Manager Key Skills, Education & Experience
- Previous experience of working in an office, retail or dispatch environment is essential and magazine subscription or publishing/bookselling is preferable
- Excellent verbal and written English communication skills
- Excellent attention to detail
- Fast and accurate data entry
- Experience using Outlook, Excel and CMS
- Experience managing staff
- Confidence in dealing with customers and staff
- Ability to schedule and prioritise a number of tasks
- A positive and hardworking outlook
- Slightly Foxed is dog-friendly. There may be up to four dogs on the premises at any time
- A reasonable level of fitness is required as you’ll be helping the rest of the staff bring deliveries of books and packing materials upstairs into the office on a regular basis
We are also hiring a Subscriptions Administrator & Marketing Assistant. For more information about this role, please click here.