Subscriptions Administrator & Marketing Assistant
Slightly Foxed is looking for an enthusiastic person to join their London office in Hoxton Square as Subscriptions Administrator & Marketing Assistant.
The Subscriptions Administrator and Marketing Assistant will be responsible for processing subscriptions, packing orders, gift-wrapping, stock management and general day-to-day office administration as well as assisting the marketing team with social media, newsletters, digital marketing, podcast promotion, events and content creation, among other things.
Slightly Foxed is the highly-acclaimed yet good-humoured and unstuffy literary magazine that introduces its readers to good books from both the past and the present. Contributors include Penelope Lively, Robert Macfarlane, Margaret Drabble, Tim Pears, Kate Young, Diana Athill, Quentin Blake, Melissa Harrison and Adam Sisman. Founded in 2004 by former John Murray Editors Gail Pirkis and Hazel Wood, this year sees the publication of our 80th issue.
Our non-fiction list of cloth-bound limited-editions was launched in 2008 and encompasses some of the twentieth century’s best memoirs and biographies, with works by Edward Ardizzone, Gerald Durrell, Anne Fadiman, Graham Greene, Helene Hanff, Luke Jennings, Michael Holroyd, James Lees-Milne, Hilary Mantel, Gavin Maxwell, V. S. Pritchett, Dodie Smith and Rosemary Sutcliff, among others. We also publish a hand-picked selection of classic nature and historical adventure novels for children and produce a small range of literary merchandise and a well-loved literary podcast. Since 2014, the magazine has sponsored the Slightly Foxed Best First Biography Prize. Slightly Foxed magazine and our books are made in the UK by traditional printers and book-binders.
We are a small and friendly team and are looking for a lively, well-organized person who likes communicating with customers, takes satisfaction in preparing and dispatching orders, enjoys gift-wrapping and loves books. Slightly Foxed prides itself on its personal, friendly and high-end service, which is something that our readers love so, as Subscriptions Administrator and Marketing Assistant you’ll be a very important part of the team.
Salary: £25,000 pa
Application closing date: Friday 22 September 2023
NB Early applications may be prioritised
Subscriptions Administrator and Marketing Assistant Key Responsibilities
- Processing and dispatching orders for subscriptions, books and goods
- Responding to customers by email, phone and letter
- Daily stock management and quarterly stock take
- Gift-wrapping and hand-writing gift messages
- Banking, filing and other day-to-day-office administration
- Assisting with deliveries
- Preparing and dispatching post by Royal Mail and courier
- Raising invoices and packing bookshop orders
- Liaising with printers and other external service providers
- Sending out renewal reminders
- Creating and delivering content across social media platforms
- Copyediting and creating content for website
- Creating and delivering podcast promotional clips
- Copyediting newsletters using Mailchimp
- Creating assets using Photoshop & InDesign
- Assisting with the design, production and delivery of marketing materials
- Assisting with events and the promotion of The Slightly Foxed Best First Biography Prize
Subscriptions Administrator and Marketing Assistant Key Skills, Education & Experience
- Confidence in dealing with customers
- Maths and English at GCSE level or equivalent
- Degree level is not required for this role
- Excellent attention to detail
- Good handwriting
- Ability to schedule and prioritise a number of daily tasks
- A positive and hardworking outlook
- Excellent verbal and written English communication skills
- Fast and accurate data entry
- Experience using Outlook and CMS desired
- Slightly Foxed is dog-friendly. There may be up to four dogs on the premises at any time
- A reasonable level of fitness is required as you’ll be moving items from the bookshelves to the packing desk, preparing the post and taking it downstairs ready for collection each day, and helping the rest of the staff bring deliveries of books and packing materials upstairs into the office on a regular basis.
Terms & Hours
- Fulltime: Monday – Friday; 9.30 a.m. – 5.30 p.m.
- Normal hours are 35 hours per week excluding lunch breaks: Occasional evening or early morning work may be required
- Place of work: Slightly Foxed Ltd, 53 Hoxton Square, London N1 6PB
- Salary: £25,000 pa; paid monthly
- Holiday: 20 days plus Bank Holidays
- Start date: 1 October 2023 onwards
- Three-month trial period; three-month notice period
- Pension: After any trial period you will be automatically registered to the company’s pension scheme
- Bonus scheme
Please apply by email with your CV and covering letter attached to: Aimi Engineer, HR & Accounts Manager: [email protected] with the subject line: Subscriptions Administrator & Marketing Assistant
- Applications with generic covering letters will not be accepted
- We are unable to respond to unsuccessful applicants or discuss individual applications
Application closing date: Friday 22 September 2023
Shortlisted applicants will be contacted by: Friday 29 September 2023
Start date: 9 October 2023 onwards
We are also hiring an Operations & Subscriptions Manager. For more information about this role, please click here.