The great prose stylist of the 20th century, monster, performer? Biographer and literary journalist Selina Hastings and writer and critic Alexander Waugh reveal the many reputations of Evelyn Waugh with the Slightly Foxed editors. From a pathological fear of boredom, hallucinations provoked by doses of bromide and cheques bouncing at the Ritz to his relationships conducted through letters, his genius for sharp satire and love of gossip, the conversation brings to light the darkness and humour of Waugh’s works. And we visit The Loved One’s Whispering Glades in this month’s reading from the magazine’s archives.
Comments & Reviews
If you enjoy the podcast, why not leave us a review? You can scroll down the page or click here to jump to the comments section.
How to Listen
There are several ways to listen to the podcast. Please choose from the following options
– LISTEN ONLINE. Press the play button on the image above to listen on this page
– SUBSCRIBE for free via:
– DOWNLOAD an mp3 file of this episode to your device. NB The file will download automatically on click. Please check your downloads folder
Please find links to books, articles, and further reading listed below. The digits in brackets following each listing refer to the minute and second they are mentioned. (Episode duration: 45 minutes; 21 seconds)
We may be able to get hold of second-hand copies of the out-of-print titles listed below. Please get in touch with Anna in the Slightly Foxed office for more information.
Books by Evelyn Waugh
– The Sword of Honour trilogy: Men at Arms, Officers and Gentlemen and Unconditional Surrender (3:14)
– Put out More Flags is out of print (3:53)
– Decline and Fall (11:48)
– Scoop (18:44)
– A Handful of Dust (21:50)
– Brideshead Revisited (22:58)
– The Ordeal of Gilbert Pinfold is out of print (27:09)
– The Loved One (32:35)
– The Carey Novels by Ronald Welch, Slightly Foxed Cubs editions (1:46)
– Evelyn Waugh: A Biography, Selina Hastings is out of print (2:40)
– Fathers and Sons: The Autobiography of a Family, Alexander Waugh is out of print (2:47)
– A Russian Journal, John Steinbeck with photographs by Robert Capa (40:37)
– The Singapore Grip, J. G. Farrell (41:40)
– Shakespeare’s Unorthodox Biography, Diana Price is out of print (42:27)
– Zoo Station, David Downing is out of print (44:02)
Related Slightly Foxed Articles
– The Tortoise of Total War, Anthony Gardner on the Sword of Honour trilogy in Issue 36 (3:14)
– Race of Ghosts, Patrick Denman Flanery on Put out More Flags in Issue 9 (3:53)
– Portrait of the Artist in Middle Age, William Palmer on The Ordeal of Gilbert Pinfold in Issue 65 (27:09)
– Waugh on the Warpath, Ranjit Bolt on The Loved One in Issue 46 (32:35)
Other Links & Information
– Sign up to the free Slightly Foxed email newsletter here to receive articles from the quarterly, extracts from books, latest releases, event invitations, news from behind the scenes at Foxed HQ and other bookish content several times a month.
– The winner of the Slightly Foxed Best First Biography Prize 2019: Jonathan Phillips for The Life and Legend of the Sultan Saladin (1:23)
– Alexander Waugh is the general editor of The Complete Works of Evelyn Waugh (43 volumes planned), bringing together all of the extant writings and graphic art: novels, biographies, travel writing, short fiction, essays, articles, reportage, reviews, poems, juvenilia, drawings and designs.